Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Tips
With the proper maintenance and care, your heating and cooling equipment will operate dependably for many years. There are a few maintenance operations you can do yourself to help ensure the best performance.
Alert: Failure to comply with all manufacturers’ instructions may result in fire or combustion that can cause property damage, serious injury or death. Before you perform any kind of maintenance, disconnect all electrical power to the unit before removing access panels; and are alert for sharp edges when handling parts or reaching into units. If performing maintenance not included in the list below, check with an AAA Cooling Specialists representative to determine if the service will void manufacturer’s warranties and guaranties. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Check the air filter in your furnace or fan coil every month. A dirty filter will cause excessive wear on your furnace, air conditioner or heat pump.Replace your filter when necessary, or clean it if you have the reusable type. (If you have a reusable filter, make sure it’s completely dry before you re-install it.)
- Keep your outdoor condensing unit free of debris. If you keep leaves, shrubbery, grass clippings and debris away from your outdoor unit, it should only require minimal care. Check the condensate drain pan at the base of the coil (under the unit) occasionally and remove debris that may be present to help the unit drain the water properly.
- If the outside of your outdoor coil becomes dirty, use a brush or a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to clean the surface. To clean dirt that is deep in the coil, contact AAA Cooling Specialists to schedule maintenance.
- Make sure your outdoor coil stays in a level position. If the support for your outdoor coil shifts or settles and the unit is no longer level, re-level it to make sure moisture drains properly out from under the unit.
- Inspect your furnace’s combustion area and vent system before each heating season. If you find dirt, soot or rust, your system may not operate properly or at its peak efficiency. Call AAA Cooling Specilists and do not operate your furnace until it is professionally inspected and/or repaired. Clean your humidifier at the beginning of every heating season. Review your owner’s manual for the proper procedure to clean the evaporator pad and external components.
- The pre-filter and collection cells of an electronic air cleaner should be cleaned at least two or three times per year.
Call us today at (480) 389-3019 to schedule an appointment that works for your schedule. Your time is important to us and we want to make sure you are 100% satisfied with our services.